NEW TO OUR CHANNEL? We are Eileen and Brown Councill. Welcome to our channel and a glimpse into our life adventure! 2020 was a year of uncertainty and change (for all of us, right?), but we overcame the challenges and decided it was time to chase our dream, to sail around the world! Did I mention that we had very NO sailing experience? Before leaving Qingdao, China, our home of 4 years, we sold almost all of our earthly possessions and started our international search to find the right sailboat that we would call "home." After 5 months of unanticipated twists and turns, we found what we were looking for, a used Leopard 44' Catamaran located in St. Lucia.
So, here begins our journey, filled with unmatched excitement and honestly, a bit of trepidation as well. We have much to learn as we travel the world on our floating home and we intend to document that journey and share it with you. We are so glad you have decided to join us, and we hope that you will find our story so compelling that it will inspire you to chase your dreams too!
As a viewer, we consider you to be part of our family and look forward to getting to know you. Don't hesitate to comment on our videos and ask questions. We will do our best to answer every correspondence! All we ask is that you have patience with us as we work really hard to improve our camera/video techniques and ability to tell a story. Hopefully, you will be as BLOWN AWAY from watching, as we are in experiencing and producing our adventures!
HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT US? If you wish to support our video efforts, all we ask is that you SUBSCRIBE, give a THUMBS UP, SHARE our videos with your friends, AND COMMENT! WOULD YOU LIKE TO GET TO KNOW US MORE DEEPLY? It would be an honor and pleasure to deepen our relationship with you as a Patron. Please click on the following link to see how: https://www.patreon.com/sailingblownaway
Brown says we are still in the fight. He might be. I think I put the white flag up here.
Wasn't the day we were expecting. Right here. Permanent drama.
I don't drink but today may have either driven me to drink or sell the boat.
Well we've been here in the Rota Aba Anchorage for probably a week or so now and we are really
interested in getting to clear water where we can swim. This area really doesn't have that
and we just came up here to provision. We came up here to see if we could get our parts flown in
which they did. To get help which we did. Thankful for Brian's help. Thankful for Dan and Kathy.
And now we are going to head out to the north pass. The weather is perfect for this
and we want to take advantage of those beautiful days with the wind just right to
get back in the water. This is an anchorage where you really just go into town and come
back to your boat and not really much animal life other than remora. So very very excited
that we're off and that it sounds like our port engine is running. I just set up the mooring
lines. I'm a little surprised. There's no one there. Given that we've had a north wind for a
while. So we're hoping the mooring ball's there and we're hoping that there are no other boats.
How fun would that be? Well we're kind of amazed. The port engine has now been running
but it sounds really really good. Must have been the Raycor filter. Thankfully Brown
sheared that screw off which made us change the filter from the jenny one and now we've
got a working engine. It would have been tough to change all those o-rings plus it was really dirty.
Yeah it's hard to get in there and clean it. Now they just make these Chinese ones. They're
probably the exact same thing for one-sixth the price and you can just rip the old one out. That's
what our favorite thing to do is just take out old stuff that's been on the boat since it was
made and abused over these years and just replace it with something new. One of our favorite places
to snorkel is right there. We are on the mooring. We've got pretty strong wind. This is not as
protected for northeast. It's great for north but still the fetch is almost nothing and it's well
worth the little bit of uncomfortableness to have snorkeling right there. The pass right behind us.
Yeah this is this is good. Brown's in checking the mooring making sure that
everything looks good on it. It's pretty deep so I'm not sure he'll get to the bottom but he's
gonna try. The red channel marker is one of our favorite places to snorkel. It feels like swimming
through an aquarium surrounded by thousands of fish and a surprising number of resident sharks.
The sheer volume and variety make every visit feel different and completely absorbing.
Our favorites are the butterflyfish and bannerfish along with the graceful moorish idols.
Because no one spearfishes here the fish are unbothered by our presence
weaving around us without fear and turning the entire experience into something calm
and unforgettable. We've had weather this week that simply wouldn't allow us to get off the
boat and today is our last chance to snorkel a pass so we're really hoping it's calm enough
to enjoy it. The pass is famous for its massive schools of fish and resident sharks with the
occasional lucky appearance by dolphins, mantas, hammerheads, and even whale sharks. Maybe today
will be one of those lucky days. It's moving day. We are headed to Tawau. The plan was actually to
go all the way to Tikiau but when we checked the weather this morning the wind is not great. It's
going to be super light and the direction isn't great for us unless we fly the parasail and we're
I don't know. It's relatively unstable. We have too little wind in the morning it seems and then we
have too much when we arrive. I mean like there's no way in looking at predict wind that we would
sail the parasailer at night. So we're going to take a look at it. We're going to go to Tawau. We're going
judge what's going on. We still have a super early start
and we're aiming for the north pass, the false pass of Tawau and who knows you know if we're
feeling good we might just keep going but that's just a way to knock a little bit of it off. We
think that on Monday we've got more stable conditions for downwind sailing. Possibly
leaving it up overnight. We don't know. So that's what we're looking for. We're looking to get out
there and do some sailing. It's going to be on the beam we think which is really rare sailing and we
love that probably the most other than downwind sailing. So that's what we're going to do today.
It's a beautiful day today and we don't have far to go. We'll call an audible if we need to. Thanks
for watching along. You know it's just uh every day when you're sailing and cruising is a big
adventure and especially when it comes time to pick a time that you're going to leave that's
the one thing you have control of. You know you just get out there in the open sea and then you
just don't know what you're going to experience and so it's always exciting. Sometimes too exciting
but yeah we're looking forward to it today and we're really going to miss Fakarava but gosh we've
got so much to look forward to. Heading west and friends and family and getting things done and
Tahiti before we leave and saying one last goodbye. So good times. So 35 miles today to the north pass
of Toao. We are going to be leaving the pass here in Fakarava before it's slack. It's actually
incoming but it shouldn't be a problem. This is such a wide pass and thankfully the false pass
in the north of Toao you don't have to time it so we're able to get there whenever we want to
arrive so that's good and we're anticipating about six and a half seven hours. We'll see
how long it actually takes and we have no idea what the sea state is. Yesterday it was rolling
swell from the north and we're gonna find out today what that looks like. Hopefully it's
still rolling and still a lot of seconds between each of the waves. All right we are off. Main sail
is already up which is really nice. Makes things so much easier when we get out. It's pretty cool.
Not many people can say they've spent almost four months here in this atoll. It's an amazing place.
Great diving and animal life. We are going to really miss it but we've got great things ahead
of us so we're excited to move on and enjoy some new new places. It's so nice to finally see the
sun. It's been like five four days. 6.3 knots. I love that we have the sound of that buzzer because
it means the engine's actually on. Or it just shut off. Oh no that's right. We've already called an
audible. We are had our original track going up the east side of Tawau to get to the north but
because of the wind angle we've decided to go along the west side and then we can make a decision if
we want to keep going and continue our route to Tikiau. Who knows but for now we've got decent
sea conditions. It's on our beam which is not the best sideways motion but not too bad. And it just
goes to show you you never know what you're gonna get until you get out here. You have to be flexible
while you're sailing. You have to have a plan A, plan B. We're making about five knots so
nice and easy as we mosey on up. This boat's used to motoring and I'm really glad we're not motoring
right now. Engine's off and we are sailing. We are behind the island of Tawau now and we are loving
it because we have no fetch at all and that's really nice and that's what's going to happen
behind each of the islands that we pass. We're going to have that protection which is fantastic.
Pace-wise we're doing almost well five and a half to six knots with 10 knots of wind and the wind
is just going to get stronger so I think we've changed our mind again and we're gonna go. We're
gonna head on to Tikiau I think is the plan. That could change in the next hour but hopefully not.
Well that system over there is really kicking up a storm literally and we are struggling to
stay on point here. We're single reefed in the main, double in the jib. At least the sea state
has been pretty calm. It's picking up a little bit with the intensity of this storm. Well our plan
was to have downwind sailing and we are headed straight into the wind right now. This is crazy.
The summer weather here just is never forecasted right so we are going to bail on our second plan
which was to head to Tikiau. It's very local and isolated. So the wind picked up and we thought
okay we can't keep our sail line to Tikiau so why don't we head to Makatea instead. So we figured
okay we can keep this line to Makatea. Well then the winds just picked up even more. We're going
to bail. We're gonna head into Toau and wait for a nicer weather window if we can predict it. That's
the problem. We just never know. I mean it just popped up. It's like a big one. First we had that
small one. It's like they're just popping up. At least we've got the sails down. Wow the storm is
almost upon us here. Hopefully it will pass us quickly. Our starboard engine died a little while
ago but then Brown was able to get it restarted. Now our port engine has died and it is not
restarting so Brown is changing the fuel filter. So not a good situation. The good news is we're in
open ocean so there's nothing that we have to do really quickly. We've got plenty of time.
The bad news is the weather is not great. Oh and this starboard engine is really struggling.
It's only revving at 18 now. This is not good. In the worst case we sail downwind and head back to Tikiau.
Brown says we are still in the fight. He might be. I think I put the white flag up here.
Not sure if this is going to be a lifestyle I want to keep living. Living on the edge for sure.
But my husband has done an amazing job getting the second engine going.
So we've got limping starboard. Wasn't the day we were expecting today. Limping starboard, limping
port but they're both limping so that is better news than neither limping. We're moving forward.
And the storm seems to just be following us which is super frustrating.
So this is 20 miles. Look at all this around us. Just us. Well the temporary drama
is here right here. Permanent drama. The drama I think is over. The storm has decided to leave us
alone and it's finally gone off to our west and now we don't have any wind so we are motoring
with both engines. That's a miracle in and of itself. Great job to the captain who
under great duress went down to the engine room and changed the rake cord. We are heading into
Tuau Falls Pass. We've been here before. It's really pretty. We've got about another hour to go
or so and looking forward to getting on a mooring ball there and then re-evaluating life.
I don't drink but today may have either driven me to drink
or sell the boat so we'll see which one actually happens.
Down to one engine again. At least it's calm.
We are getting close to the pass. The port engine is on and off. If it was flat maybe
it would be okay but the swell is really creating a problem so hopefully it will
start when we go into the pass. Thankfully we don't have to time this pass. It's a false one
so we shouldn't. There shouldn't be a problem getting in but who knows. It just doesn't feel
great knowing that we don't have two engines we can count on. All right here we go. One engine
working. One idling and working and that's what we want to avoid over there.
One guy in the dinghy said he'd help us which is great. His name is Jan. Thank you Jan.
He's getting in his dinghy now. So grateful for other cruisers. This is such a gift.
Almost through the pass completely. Thank you God.
And these guys are going to probably help us grab that mooring which is very sweet of them.
Brandon stoved the ball and said that it looks good so that's good news.
I think she's got a hold. Oh it's good to be anchored down while attached to a mooring ball
anyway. We are loving that it is sunny finally and calm and we are safe which is good. It's such
a beautiful place here in the false pass and today we are going to try and do a fuel bypass
to our engines and to do that we need to get another jerry can of fuel so we're buying it from
our friends on SVO. Jan and Jane and we're so thankful that they are willing to sell it to us
so we're going to head over there now and pick it up. Huge thanks to our friends Jane and Jan on O.
They gave us their, well they let us buy their fuel drum which is going to help us be able to
hopefully make a bypass to our fuel tank and if the fuel tank is the issue which is
probably what the issue is then we now will bypass the issue we hope and our engines will
be consistent. Gotta try, keep trying and we can get our tank fuel polished when we're in Tahiti.
Yeah so this will give us at least a little bit of new life versus having to go back to Tahiti right
oh really wow all right that's amazing right yeah we were anchored at north Fakarava pass
when you were there and we we saw your tent and we saw you leave going towards the pass
but we didn't know where you were going yeah yeah and now we know you are the sea people
so these guys had their boat shipped in by by the Cobia and that's when we saw them the day after
they sailed off to uh right near us they camped right near us and tomorrow they're going to head
to Apataki the next island up and they need Starlink to be able to check the weather so
we gave them our Starlink password hopefully they'll be able to access it from the street
or from the street from the sand and check the weather for tomorrow